How are we going to get out of this? We have an army of undead all around and god knows where we are! I know that there is little to no chance of us surviving, even if we make it through this challenge, there will just be another waiting for us. And while the enemy grows with each fallen survivor our numbers only grow smaller, and our resources dwindle more and more. What’s the point in fighting, if there’s no hope of victory?

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Haven Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I awoke, choking on dust, and quickly realised I was coated heavily. A quick glance around gave me some idea as to the damage Wendy’s “plan” had done. The table we were hiding behind had been broken, a large chunk of concrete had been flung into it. There was a hole in the wall, but replacing it was the smoking remains of Connor’s car, from what I could see we wouldn’t be driving it out of here.

I was cut in several places and bleeding, but it wasn’t too bad and soon I was on my feet. Connor was up before I was, and was now trying to shake Daniel awake. Daniel looked the worst of the three of us, there was a large cut on his forehead that was badly bleeding, and he showed no signs of waking up soon. Wendy and Simon came climbing in over the car. ‘Are you alright?’ Wendy asked, but I could only nod my response, ‘we have to get out of here,’ she continued

This time I found my voice, ‘Daniel won’t wake up,’ my voice was shaking from the shock
‘Then we carry him,’ Connor said, also sounding fearful
‘Can’t we wait he might be badly hurt,’ Simon argued, picking up the generator
‘I don’t think we have the time,’ Wendy gestured at the door, and I say that the impact had also damaged the barricades we had made, and more of the dead had found their way here.
‘Run,’ I yelled and all four of us ran and pushed desperately on the car, pushing back out of the hole it had made. My eyes stang from all the dust and the sudden light, but I kept running blindly until Simon cried out and pushed me to the ground as an explosion sounded behind me.


            Once again I woke, ringing in my ears and dust in my eyes. Apparently the crash had damaged the car so badly the fuel had ignited. I hadn’t been out that long and Wendy was pulling my arm trying to get me up. Dazed I stumbled to my feet but the desperation of our situation returned I was quickly sprinting with the rest, in which ever random direction happened to have the least amount of deadmen present.


            As we ran from the station the rest of our group in the warehouse all rushed towards the sound of metal hitting concrete. Brooke and Daphne rushed to push the section of ventilation off Steven who was now unconscious. Nicole quickly joined them, ‘What the hell happened?’
            ‘The piece of ventilation just fell, right on top of him,’ Daphne replied hysterically. Brooke took Daphne away as the others arrived, and Nicole checked Steven’s pulse. ‘He’s breathing, and his heart’s beating fine,’ she informed the others, ‘that’s all I can really tell for now, let’s get him somewhere safe.’ Nicole thanked her foresight to bring the stretcher from the hospital along.
‘Wait! He’s bleeding,’ Will pointed out the small trail of blood on the floor
‘He can’t be I checked,’ regardless Nicole checked again, still finding no open wounds. That’s when they all heard a soft whimper coming from inside the piece of ventilation.
...

            Connor, Simon, Wendy and I didn’t stop running until Simon couldn’t stand carrying the heavy generator anymore and, along with Connor carrying Daniel, stopped and fell slowly to the floor. Wendy and I stopped just ahead of them, and did a quick sweep for any of the dead. We found none, but I knew some had to still be following us from the station, we couldn’t relax now.

            ‘We can’t keep going like this,’ Connor gasped between breaths
            ‘Well we can’t stop now,’ Wendy said quietly through closed teeth, I could tell she was afraid, ‘for all we know they’re right behind us’
            ‘Yeah or they could be just up ahead,’ Simon argued back frustrated, ‘as long as we’re on foot and burdened,’ he gestured at the generator and Daniel, ‘we’re sitting ducks to any decent amount of zombies that find us.’ I had to speak then, ‘if it comes down to either leaving the generator behind or dying then we leave it that’s fine, but there is no way we are ever leaving Daniel to those monsters’

            ‘Of course, I wasn’t implying…’ Simon mumbled ashamed. In truth I didn’t really think that’s what he meant, I was angry at myself for considering leaving him behind, if only for a moment. But I had to be strong here, I needed to get these people out of this mess. But how? Simon was right the way we are now there’s no way we can get out of here safely.
            ‘Then we’ll find a new car,’ Wendy said resolutely, interrupting my thoughts. I was pleased she had spoken but also embarrassed I hadn’t thought of such a basic solution
            ‘Seriously,’ Connor asked, getting his breath back finally, ‘what’re the chances that we’ll find a car that actually works that has had all its petrol taken around here?’ I knew he was right, between us, the marauders and whatever over groups that were struggling to survive around here we had siphoned almost all petrol around this area.

            Panic gripped me, how are we going to get out of this? All of us are decent fighters, we all want to survive, but with Daniel wounded, and the rest of us in bad shape the odds are stacked against us. We have an army of undead all around and god knows where we are, we don’t even know if the others made it to the warehouse! Deep down I know that there was little to no chance of us surviving, even if we make it through this challenge, there will just be another waiting for us. And while the enemy grows with each fallen survivor our numbers grow smaller, and our resources dwindle more and more.


           What’s the point in fighting, if there’s no hope of victory?

No comments:

Post a Comment