How are we going to get out of this? We have an army of undead all around and god knows where we are! I know that there is little to no chance of us surviving, even if we make it through this challenge, there will just be another waiting for us. And while the enemy grows with each fallen survivor our numbers only grow smaller, and our resources dwindle more and more. What’s the point in fighting, if there’s no hope of victory?

Monday, November 30, 2015

Haven Chapter 23

            Chapter 23

            We turned and ran for the van, only to find another group of the dead making their way through the parked cars. Connor and a few other began firing at them, but they were getting to close, and Jacobs pulled them away. We made it to the station before them, and quickly closed the double front doors, barricading them with several nearby desks and chairs. My heart was pounding in my chest, the recent events seemed crazy, and almost unbelievable. Unfortunately I found I could believe it, and that it was all too real. Meeting Jacobs, finding Anthony, Brooke’s death and now a zombie encounter? I couldn’t but feel overwhelmed, and defeated.

“What are we supposed to do?” Lindsey cried, her voice a mix of determination and fear
            “We pick them off, one by one, until we can make it to the car,” Monica suggested firmly
            “There’s too many for that,” I argued, I didn’t want to sound pessimistic, but right now fear and grief overwhelmed my need to seem like a leader
            “Then we only kill the ones in our way, then lure the others inside before escaping,” Connor said. I nodded, it seemed like it could work, but a part of me wondered how many would have to die for it to work.

            “There’s just one problem with that,” Jacobs said, and I heard a strange sound in her voice that I hadn’t heard before, I thought it was shame. Or maybe guilt. “Before we went into negotiations I wanted to take precautions in case this was a trick,” she continued, “stop you from leaving if you stole from us”
            “What did you do?” Malcolm yelled furiously, and I cringed, now was not the time to antagonise our potential allies
            “We removed a piece of your engine,” Jacobs confessed
            “You what?!” Connor turned from reinforcing the barricade to stare at her in anger
            “You would have done the same!” she defended herself, but I could tell she regretted it, and not just because her actions may have led to our demise. But then a thought occurred to me as to why she might have felt so guilty “This was him wasn’t it? It was Anthony’s idea,” I tried to sound apologetic, or at least understanding, she nodded in response.

            I felt the familiar fear creep up again, but this time I fought back. Whether my resistance was from anger towards Anthony or from fear of dying I don’t know but I knew I wasn’t going to let it overwhelm me again. I had to get to work, I knew there had to be a way out of this. I wasn’t going to let Jade down, I wasn’t going to die here, so far away from her. “What did you remove?” I asked, trying to sound authoritative
            “Spark plugs, 8 of them, but…” she paused, looking even more guilty, “Kyle took them with him”
            “Kyle?” Malcolm sounded confused
            “Anthony, he stole the name of the man he left to die,” I answered coldly, “where can we find new ones?”
            “Any car, as long as they’re not damaged,” one of the resistance men answered, “but to find and remove removed 8 of them would take too long.”

            I thought for a while about our situation, there were 5 of my group including me, and 6 from the resistance including Lindsey and Jacobs. We all had guns, but my group had no spare ammo, and most of resistance’s spare ammo was on the truck Anthony had drove away with. Theoretically we had enough ammo to take out the 75 odd zombies beating down the door, but there were too many unknowns. What if we missed a few too many times? What if they broke in before we could finish them off? What if the noise of our firing drew more dead towards us? We had chosen a station far away from any town centres but this was still the outer suburbs, and there would have been thousands of people living here before the virus was released. So there was no telling how many were waiting outside for a reason to come and tear this station to the ground.

            I made a decision, we would try to kill the ones attacking us, but we wouldn’t wait for them all to be killed before trying to escape. I conferred with Jacobs, and eventually she agreed. 2 resistance men along with Connor would be searching the cars for spark plugs, with Monica and another of Jacobs’ men protecting them, while the rest of us tried to take down the zombies. It was a risky plan, it put more people at risk than if we simply tried to kill them all, but it also accounted for the possibility that more might turn up. We might lose some people, but there was a smaller chance that we would lose everyone.

            Everyone heard the plan, and soon everyone knew their part, we moved closer to the windows, and the dead outside became more aggressive. I could see them clearly now, and as horrifying as they looked I appreciated the fact that they looked so different than the people they once were. Most of the skin and flesh covering their arms and legs had been torn away, leaving muscles and tendons clear and exposed. Most of them had deep, jagged cuts of their face and around their mouths. They were nothing less than monsters now. Slowly we spread out along the wall, trying to stop them from grouping up in one place, and then we waited for the signal to begin.

            “Now!” Jacobs screamed, and I repeated it. Then I didn’t hear much else except the sounds of gunshots and the horrible sounds bullets made as they broke through bone and flesh. Glass flew everywhere, blood too, but we were careful to stand back, careful to not be infected by blood transfer. Eventually the dead in front of began to clear, as the bodies of those I had killed piled up, blocking others from taking their place. Out of the corner of my eye I could see that the others were getting to the same point. But some weren’t so lucky, and I heard a scream that wasn’t like any sound the dead make. One of the zombies had built up momentum in their hunger and broke through the window, grabbing one of the resistance men. It was too late for him, but I saw Jacobs aim her gun in his direction, and in horror I knew why as she fired straight through her own man’s skull. At least he wasn’t suffering anymore, but I had to question whether or not I could do the same for one of mine.


            I heard a yell from the other side, and turned just to see Connor jump through a clear window, closely followed by one of Jacobs’ men. Through the blood-smeared glass I saw them make a bee-line for the cars. I quickly turned my attention back to my section, the zombies had crawled on top of the bodies of their fallen kin, and I had to start firing in earnest again, I could let my attention slip. Eventually the sheet of glass gave way entirely, and I had to step back as the body of my most recent kill can crashing into the station, I could see others in the same situation. “Come this way!” I yelled to the few who could hear me as I moved slowly to where Connor had exited. If we could draw the dead inside, then trap them there it would by the others more time. I took the time to make a quick glance to see Connor’s progress, but wished I hadn’t, because what I saw was the body of Jacobs’ man on the ground, covered by two or three of the dead, with two more lurching towards Connor, who was furiously working on a car, oblivious of the danger he was in.

No comments:

Post a Comment